Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As an example, I was at the cinema and I wanted to buy tickets for a film named

北京遇上西雅图

However, I can't read all of the characters.

In English I'd say;

Can I get a ticket for that film "北京*something*上西*something**something*", please?

Is there an equivalent way to do this in Chinese?

share|improve this question

obviously this doesn't happen in the same way in English, but if a name is very long, it's not uncommon to forget some of it "lemony snickets: a series of something something" –  Matthew Rudy 马泰 Mar 25 '13 at 16:59
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I would use 什么, or 什么什么 as the placeholder for the characters I can't read.

In your exmaple, I would say: 北京 什么 西 什么, or 北京 什么什么 西 什么什么, or 北京 什么 西 什么什么, or 北京 什么什么 西 什么.

什么 or 什么什么 can substitute any numbers of characters.

I am from Northern China, and I am not sure what words people in other regions in China would use for this purpose.

share|improve this answer

if there were two characters, would you repeat the "什么"? –  Matthew Rudy 马泰 Mar 25 '13 at 17:03

@MatthewRudy马泰 As he says, "什么 or 什么什么 can substitute any numbers of characters". –  Stumpy Joe Pete Mar 25 '13 at 18:40

@MatthewRudy马泰: I revised my answer after seeing your comment. –  孤影萍踪 Mar 25 '13 at 19:15

@孤影萍踪 yeah. I wrote my comment, then saw your update. Thanks. –  Matthew Rudy 马泰 Mar 26 '13 at 5:43
add comment

many people read:北京X(音:叉cha)上西XX

share|improve this answer

that's an interesting suggestion, thanks. –  Matthew Rudy 马泰 Mar 26 '13 at 7:44

I don't get it... :P –  Alenanno Mar 26 '13 at 16:19
Probably more appropriate in writing. In speech, chā has other... more sexual connotations and should be discouraged in this context. –  deutschZuid Mar 27 '13 at 4:48
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.