As an example, I was at the cinema and I wanted to buy tickets for a film named

北京遇上西雅图

However, I can't read all of the characters.

In English I'd say;

Can I get a ticket for that film "北京*something*上西*something**something*", please?

Is there an equivalent way to do this in Chinese?

• obviously this doesn't happen in the same way in English, but if a name is very long, it's not uncommon to forget some of it "lemony snickets: a series of something something" Mar 25, 2013 at 16:59

2 Answers 2

I would use 什么, or 什么什么 as the placeholder for the characters I can't read.

In your exmaple, I would say: 北京 什么 西 什么, or 北京 什么什么 西 什么什么, or 北京 什么 西 什么什么, or 北京 什么什么 西 什么.

什么 or 什么什么 can substitute any numbers of characters.

I am from Northern China, and I am not sure what words people in other regions in China would use for this purpose.

• if there were two characters, would you repeat the "什么"? Mar 25, 2013 at 17:03
  • @MatthewRudy马泰 As he says, "什么 or 什么什么 can substitute any numbers of characters". Mar 25, 2013 at 18:40
  • @MatthewRudy马泰: I revised my answer after seeing your comment. Mar 25, 2013 at 19:15
  • @孤影萍踪 yeah. I wrote my comment, then saw your update. Thanks. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:43

many people read:北京X(音:叉cha)上西XX

• that's an interesting suggestion, thanks. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:44
  • I don't get it... :P
    – Alenanno
    Mar 26, 2013 at 16:19
    Probably more appropriate in writing. In speech, chā has other... more sexual connotations and should be discouraged in this context. Mar 27, 2013 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.