Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found this text on the ubuntu.com website. There are what seems to be 2 different levels of politeness mixed together. Or is this a stylistic device?

下载并安装Ubuntu桌面操作系统, 只需要一张空白的光盘或U盘。无论 当前的操作系统是Windows 或 Mac OS, 都可以用 Ubuntu 取代它们,亦可以选择让 Ubuntu 与它们并存。

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is a difficult question, before answering, let's have an understanding on what is a stylistic device. From Wikipedia:

In literature and writing, Stylistic Elements are the use of any of a variety of techniques to give an auxiliary meaning, idea, or feeling to the literal or written.

As you probably already know, 您 is the polite way of addressing a second person, 你. Using Google search, I found quite a number of examples where both 你 and 您 are contained within a sentence:

1. 您的孩子是否尊重你? (Does your child respect you?)
  2. 您曾否上傳你創建的圖片,而不是用相機拍回來的? (Did you ever upload pictures that are not taken from your camera?)
  3. 教您十招养车的秘籍让你的爱车光亮如新 (Teach you 10 ways to get your car a brand new look)
  4. 小心您的隐私:偷看你的QQ聊天记录 仅需300元 (Beware of your privacy: peep at your QQ chat record for just 300 dollars)

From these examples, it can be said that politeness is expressed at the earliest and once, only where necessary. I would reason that Chinese wants to be polite, but not overly polite that it may appear annoying, fake or impersonal such as this ad from Google:

正在苦苦寻找顾客,而顾客也正在 Google 上寻找可以在 Google 和我们的广告网络中展示广告。仅当有人点击的广告时,才需要支付费用。

Also, the change in tone from 您 to 你 helps to bring back attention or focus to the subject (you, the reader). Therefore, contrary to other answers, I would argue that the mixing of 你 and 您 is indeed a stylistic device when used appropriately.

But for the specific example you have given, it seems to be just a case of imperfect writing, possibly due to the usage of a translation service. Instead of having so many "yous", I would have rewritten it like this:

只需一张空白的光盘或U盘,即可下载并安装 Ubuntu 桌面操作系统 。无论当前的操作系统是Windows 还是 Mac OS,您都可以用 Ubuntu 取代,或让 Ubuntu 与它共存。

share|improve this answer

Mixing 您 and 你 is a bad practice. I am not aware of any fashionable usage of the mix, not even in net-speak. Your example is just loosely reviewed.

One rare case where you may see both words in one dialog is when the speaker uses 您 for the listener while uses 你 as a reference to a general 2nd person (similar to "one" in English). In this case 您 and 你 refer to different persons and the mix is not about style. E.g.

“他9点才来。这么重要的事,怎么能迟到两个钟头呢?觉得呢?”

"He didn't show up until 9. How could one be late for 2 hours for such an important event?! What do you say?"

I don't think mixing 你 and 您 is a stylistic device . It is a little inconsistent, but it is NOT grammatically wrong. Actually I believe the sentences in your example are correct, just not perfect. I also believe it is also correct to use 你 and 您 even in one sentence.

For example: 你要和您的朋友一起来.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.