I am studying classical Chinese and when I try to type in any words that require the ü it just randomly chooses a character.

How do I use the Traditional pinyin entry method on a Mac and get the the ü?

Thanks.

Type "v" instead of "u". Apr 17, 2013 at 2:32
  • Does the Mac have similar alt+xxx combos as in Windows? Apr 17, 2013 at 3:45
    @deutschZuid He's asking about entering it in a pinyin IME. If you actually want to type a ü on a mac, you just hold down u really long until a menu comes up with various u's with accents. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:45
  • @StumpyJoePete Ah thanks. I didn't know that (never been much of a Mac user). Apr 17, 2013 at 6:29
    For anone interested, on Windows it's ALT-0252 for ü or ALT-0220 for Ü
    – Cocowalla
    Apr 17, 2013 at 7:18

2 Answers 2

The OP is asking how to type characters, using a pinyin IME, when those characters have a ü in their pinyin spelling. For example, how do you type 绿=? This is different than asking how to actually type the letter ü. The answer is to type a v. To follow the example, change to the pinyin IME, type lv and select 绿.

• Apologies for taking so long to acknowledge this. Typing the 'v' works perfectly. Thanks.
    – forrest
    May 17, 2013 at 1:58

Type option-u then u on a Mac.

• This works for English or European language input, but it does not work with the Chinese language input.
    – forrest
    Apr 18, 2013 at 1:31
  • Oh I thought you meant when typing pinyin for itself -- ie not to get Chinese in the end but to show pinyin. My bad.
    – dda
    Apr 18, 2013 at 5:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.