Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

质数 and 素数 both mean "prime numbers" in chinese.

What's the difference in their nuances and usage?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

质数 and 素数 are perfect synonyms. As far as I am aware of, both are used across all Chinese speaking regions.

I couldn't find a reliable source on the origins or why there are two dissimilar terminologies for the same concept, but in the textbooks published in mainland China since late 90's, 质数 is the word for it, while in non-textbooks and older textbooks the two synonyms are used equally frequently.

share|improve this answer
add comment

see the wikipedia for the prime numbers in Chinese;

in very first it says: 质数,又稱素数, so to translate this into English is: "质数",is equal to "素数", so in Chinese they are both point to the prime numbers i think.

I am a Chinese now live in Shanghai, i am not quite into the math things, but what i read form wikipeida is telling me that they are euqal.

I mean, what's the difference in their nuances? Or are they perfect synonyms? –  Pacerier Apr 20 '13 at 4:20

@Pacerier 质数 and 素数 mean exactly the same thing, no differences at all, just like The Eearth, The Planet, and The Globe mean exactly the same thing, ie the planet we are living on. –  孤影萍踪 May 10 '13 at 18:12
add comment

在汉语中,质数素数在任何语境下都是可以互换的,这是绝对正确的。

In Chinese, 质数 and 素数 are interchangeable in any context; this is absolutely accurate.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.