Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a very strong interest in classical Chinese (文言文), but I am unable to find any ressources for learning it that don't assume Chinese is your mother language. Can anybody give me some pointers?

share|improve this question

Searched a bit and also did not find anything valuable. As I can recall, classical Chinese is generally taught in high school using case-study. That is, to learn from famous articles, and teachers will do the explanation. While learning it, there are really A LOT exceptions to remember as I can recall. –  Flake Dec 16 '11 at 21:27

I've heard people saying the Confucius Institute in some countries has classical Chinese classes for people who's mother language is not Chinese. Maybe you could contact one of the institutes for more information. I don't think there are any good online learning resources. –  Bruce Li Dec 17 '11 at 15:14
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

These two books have been recommended from another site (I haven't read these myself):

An Introduction to Literary Chinese: Revised Edition (Harvard East Asian Monographs) by Michael Anthony Fuller (2004)

A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese (Harvard East Asian Monographs) by Paul F. Rouzer (2007)

Aside from learning yourself, another option is to find a Chinese person who did well in this subject to teach you or do language exchange.

share|improve this answer
add comment

protected by Alenanno Feb 4 '12 at 14:26

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.