Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I learned Cantonese using Yale Romanization, but I'm unable to type it easily because of the accent marks representing the tones. Is there a quick and easy way to do this without using a special character set or keyboard layout? If not, what's the best (read: simplest) character set to use that will give me the accents I need for Yale Romanization?

share|improve this question
What OS are you using? – dusan Dec 17 '11 at 2:59
I'm on Windows but it would certainly be useful if there were some answers for OSX or Linux. – Zannjaminderson Dec 17 '11 at 16:29

There are these input plugins for OSX (There is one for Jyutping and one for Yale). I have never used them myself.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.