Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

中国的风景都真不错。

A native speaker told me that the above sentence was wrong, so the corrected version should be:

中国的风景真(的)都不错。

Is the first sentence's grammar wrong or it just sounds unnatural? Why 都 goes after 真? I was thinking of sentences like 他们都很聪明, where 都 appears before 很 (and because 很 is similar to 真).

share|improve this question

I'm not convinced either form is grammatically incorrect. They may just sound unnatural because usually you don't use multiple adverbs like this. You are correct that 很 is similar to 真, with the major difference that 真 cannot be used as a word qualifying a noun - 中国有真不错的风景 is incorrect. Source: ntnu.edu.tw/tcsl/cltp/Downloads/0319_teaching%20grammar/… –  congusbongus May 15 '13 at 2:06
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

很 is NOT similar to 真.

很 is used before adj or adv to form a compounded adj or adv phrase, 很 is at the phrase level (inner level). But 真 modifies the whole predicate (ourter level).

We can say:

中国的风景不错。

中国的风景很不错。 很 modifies 不错.

中国的风景真(的)不错. 真 modifies the whole predicate (不错).

中国的风景真(的)很不错. 真 modifies the whole predicate (很不错).

But we can't say:

(NO)中国的风景很真不错. It is wrong because 真 can't be used at the inner level.

We can say:

中国的风景不错。

中国的风景都不错。 都 modifies 不错. inner level.

中国的风景真(的)都不错. 真 modifies the whole predicate (都不错).

But we can't say:

(NO)中国的风景都真不错. It is wrong because 真 can't be used at the inner level.

Please Note: sometimes 真 is also used at the inner level.

他跳得真高. 真 modifies 高.

他真跳得高. 真 modifies the whole predicate (跳得高).

他跳得很高. 很 modifies 高.

他真跳得很高. 真 modifies the whole predicate (跳得很高).

I guess, when only 真 appears, it can be at inner level or outer level. But if there are 2 or more modifiers, then 真 should be at outer level.

Another way to explain this:

很, 都 and 真 work in different aspects.

很 describes to "what extent" the following adj or adv imply. 很 corresponds to "very", or "very much".

都 describes the scope the following adj or adv imply. 都 corresponds to "both", or "all".

真 emphasizes the following adj or adv. 都 corresponds to "really".

So the order of them is: 真, 都, 很.

中国的风景不错.

中国的风景很不错.

中国的风景都不错.

中国的风景都很不错.

中国的风景真不错.

中国的风景真很不错.

中国的风景真都不错.

中国的风景真都很不错.

share|improve this answer

One suggestion - if a sentence is grammatically incorrect, use the asterix (*) to indicate it instead of inventing your own notation. –  deutschZuid May 14 '13 at 3:51

他真跳得高 sounds extremely colloquial. I personally wouldn't use it as it sounds a little strange to me. –  deutschZuid May 14 '13 at 3:57
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.