Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone please tell me what 亮黄灯了 means in this sentence:

我承认,应该是运动量过大,身体*亮黄灯了*

And why is the colour yellow (黄) used?

share|improve this question
Are you able to give more context? From just this, all I can deduce is it refers to the orange light (黄灯) in a set of traffic lights. Essentially when the orange light lights up, then it's time to slow down and stop. In this case, it refers to your body switching to the "orange light", which is a sign for you to slow down and take a break from excessive exercising. –  deutschZuid May 28 '13 at 2:19

@deutschZuid Your guess is right. You should make it an answer. –  NS.X. May 28 '13 at 2:30

4 Answers 4

up vote 5 down vote accepted

This probably refers to the orange light (黄灯) in a set of traffic lights.

Essentially when the orange light lights up, it's time to slow down and stop. In this case, it refers to your body switching to the "orange light" (muscle cramps, short of breath and etc...), which is a sign for you to slow down and take a break from excessive exercising.

share|improve this answer

+1 correct answer. –  Stan May 28 '13 at 4:08

But 黄 is yellow,orange is 橙。 –  Krazer May 28 '13 at 8:38

Yes... it's normally called 'orange' in English. Some people do say yellow, but I don't hear that often. Don't get caught up on stuff like this. It's like some people call turquoise a shade of blue, while others call it a shade of green. People have different perceptions of what a colour looks like. I can carry on with this psychology topic, but I think I've made myself clear. –  deutschZuid May 28 '13 at 9:50
@deutschZuid In my experience (US), we say "Yellow light". –  Stumpy Joe Pete May 28 '13 at 16:50
@StumpyJoePete Here is an interesting web snippet about how it's used in different countries based on user feedback :). 365project.org/eleanor/365/2011-02-15 –  deutschZuid May 28 '13 at 20:52

The color yellow is a sign of warning. Here in your sentence, it is a metaphor of traffic lights (IMO). green->yellow->red

我承认,应该是运动量过大,身体*亮黄灯了*

the quote 亮黄灯了 means that your body (身体) is warning you, e.g. headache, dizziness or some physical discomfort.

That is a metaphore of yellow alert to your body conditions which means your health is going bad but can be restored by rest and care attention. If it goes to red alert, then your body is in dangerous situation and mostly is going to be collapsed.

It's meaning a warn.The yellow light.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.