Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am making a website for a friend. He has a (very) low quality logo for me to use. I want to remake the logo but it contains kanji. I do not know how to read kanji so I do not know how to remake these characters other than doing so by hand....

http://www.schneidi.com/images/logo%20-%20wun%20hop%20kuen%20do.jpg

What are the kanji characters in this image, how do I type them (or can you just type them for me and I copy/paste?) and what do they mean?

Thank you !!

share|improve this question

In addition, "Wun Hop Kuen Do" is Cantonese, 混合拳道; and "kajukenbo" is Japanese, カジュ拳法 (Karate & Judo mixed kenpou). –  Stan Jun 1 '13 at 17:37

If anything, it's 'hanzi', not 'kanji'. –  deutschZuid Jun 6 '13 at 23:24

@deutschZuid: you may know, 'kanji' is a Japanese pronunciation. –  Stan Jun 12 '13 at 7:48

@Stan Not exactly. Kanji were originally Chinese characters borrowed into Japanese, but were later mutated to adapt to their own writing style. New characters were invented in the process as well. So drawing equivalence between the Hanzi and Kanji is not recommended. (By the way, I was commenting on the OP's use of the word, not your comment, hence the lack of @). –  deutschZuid Jun 12 '13 at 10:50
@deutschZuid: if the "own writing style" and "new characters invented" are considered as criteria of equivalence, the traditional and simplified Chinese characters can be considered as two different kinds of hanzi too (Taiwan and Hong Kong people do invent some character that are never used in mainland China. And even for some not simplified characters, strokes are not exactly the same). In similarity, kanji is in general quite similar to hanzi, and Chinese people are able to recognize most of them. So I think it's OK to say kanji and that wouldn't be ambiguous. –  Stan Jun 12 '13 at 12:09
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The answer is 功夫. You might want to try figuring out further characters using handwriting input as on e.g. http://nciku.com

share|improve this answer

+1 useful link. If there's such a tool for seal scripts, it will be convenient for archaeologists. –  Stan Jun 1 '13 at 17:20
add comment

For others looking for tools to identify Chinese characters, you can look them up in a dictionary using radical + brushstroke count.

Here is an example of a dictionary that uses radicals: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/sinograms.html?r

I'm not sure if there is a systematic method to identify which part of the character is the radical, but if you divide the character into separated "parts" it's usually the left-most or top-most part.

share|improve this answer

Yes this is the standard way that Chinese language users look up a character that they don't know how to pronounce. Unfortunately there is no standard way to figure out which is the radical. Most of the time you have to learn to recognise the radicals, or try the one with the least number of strokes. –  congusbongus Jun 13 '13 at 0:50
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.