Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen native speakers refer to "we" as both 我们 and 我們, so I was wondering if there's any difference in meaning or when to use one plural marker or the other.

share|improve this question
I'd also like to point out that 门/們 is not a generic plural marker. It's used mostly for pronouns (我 vs 我们), and it has very limited use beyond that (The only other use I can think of: it can be added to nouns when a speaker is a addressing an audience, indicating mutual inclusion in that group, e.g, Hu Jintao addressing the audience beginning with "同志们,朋友们" = "Comrades, friends, ...") –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 6 '13 at 5:52

Thanks, Stumpy. I haven't seen them use plurals for other nouns so far, so I hadn't noticed it. –  msb Jun 6 '13 at 18:42

I wonder why someone would downvote this question..... :S –  msb Jun 6 '13 at 18:43
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

我们 and 我們 are same, except 们 is simplified character, and 們 is traditional character.

See this for more details: Simplified Chinese characters

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the answer, I obviously know less than the basics of chinese :D But I'm learning... slowly... ^_^ If you would please upvote my question, I'll gain part of the necessary reputation to upvote your answer, helping move this stackexchange out of beta. ;) –  msb Jun 5 '13 at 21:47

@msb Done as requested. ^_^ –  孤影萍踪 Jun 5 '13 at 23:53
add comment

Based on 孤影萍踪's explanation about 們/们, try to show you more detail:

1. 他們 ta1 men0 = they (at least one man)
  2. 他們倆 ta1 men0 lia0 = they two (at least one man)
  3. 她們 ta1 men0 = they (all women)
  4. 牠們 ta1 men0 = they (animals)
  5. 鐵哥們 tie3 ge1 men0 = a male close friend, sometimes female too
  6. 圖們江 tu2 men2 jiang1 = proper noun, name of a river near North Korea
  7. 它們 ta1 men0 = they (things)
  8. 你們 ni3 men0 = you (more than one)
  9. 娘兒們 niang2 er0 men0 = a woman or some women (sometimes derogatory, sometimes just friendly)
  10. 諾們罕 nuo4 men2 han4 = the Nomonhan Incident, a battle between Japan and USSR in 1939
  11. 老哥兒們 lao3 ge1 er0 men0 = buddy, in a friendly way, sometimes not so friendly
  12. 哥們兒 ge1 mer0 = dude, in a friendly way, sometimes not so friendly
  13. 哥兒們 ge1 er0 men0 = "hey my dear friends"
  14. 孩兒們 hai2 er0 men0 = "my dear children"
  15. 渠們 qu2 men0 = they (guess it's dialect)
  16. 小哥兒們 xiao2 ge1 er0 men0 = handsome young boys
  17. 小姐們兒 xiao2 jie3 mer0 = sisters or sometimes whores
  18. 這們 zhe4 men4 (this kind of... e.g. 西遊記˙第二十回 「那老兒 你這們大年紀 全不曉事」Journey to the West, Chapter 20, "[Mondey King shouted] Hey, that old dude, look at you, such a old, but doesn't know anything!")
  19. 人們 ren2 men0 = people
  20. 咱們 zan2 men0 = we
  21. 俺們 an3 men0 = we
  22. 爺們兒 ye2 mer0 = (a man or husband, emphasizing maturity)
  23. 爺們 ye2 men0 = (a man or husband, emphasizing maturity, see also: 紅樓夢˙第二十七回 「你別胡說 他是個爺們家 揀了我們的東西 自然該還的 我拿甚麼謝他呢」Dream of the Red Chamber, Chapter 27, "Don't you talk non-sense, he's a man, picked our stuff, sure he should hand it back, why should I thank him??")
  24. 爺兒們 ye2 er0 men0 = (a man or husband, emphasizing maturity)
  25. 我們 wo3 men0 or wo3 men2 = we
  26. 們渾 men4 hun2 = buxom

Reference

[1] Entry of 們 in 教育部重編國語辭典修訂本線上版 National Chinese Dictionary Online, Ministry of Education, Taiwan

[2] Related words of 們 in 教育部重編國語辭典修訂本線上版 National Chinese Dictionary Online, Ministry of Education, Taiwan

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.