Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Are there any initial consonants/syllables in modern Chinese dialects which are incompatible with some tones?

Can certain tones occur only in certain syllables (that is, within open or close ones)?

I am referring mainly to 普通话 (or 華語), but any other dialect will do

share|improve this question

Which Chinese dialect? And it may be better to add some examples. –  Stan Jun 22 '13 at 9:37

Yes, but it entirely depends on the dialect! –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 22 '13 at 19:35

I removed the "any dialect" requirement because this makes the question overly broad and practically unanswerable by one person. –  xiaohouzi79 Jun 27 '13 at 0:06

@xiaohouzi79 You have also deleted the reference to two dialects as well, which made the question no less broad and unanswerable by a.n.y. person. Besides, I don't suppose we have an excessive number of dialect speakers here. –  Manjusri Jun 27 '13 at 11:25
add comment

2 Answers

Here's an example of this sort of phenomenon:

Syllables that begin with unaspirated stops b, d, g, or affricates j, zh, z, and end in a nasal n or ng, as a rule don’t have second-tone forms.

Here's a more extensive explanation of how this came about

share|improve this answer

Are there more like this? –  juckele Jun 25 '13 at 18:13

Most chinese dialects have a different set of tones for "checked" or "closed" syllables. E.g., in Cantonese, tones 7, 8, and 9 only exist in syllables ending in -p, -t, and -k. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 25 '13 at 19:00

@StumpyJoePete: While Cantonese checked-tone syllables can be numbered separately (7/8/9) for historical reasons, in practice, they are pronounced the same as tones 1/3/6, respectively. In addition, due to 變音, they may even be pronounced in tone 2. –  Claw Jun 27 '13 at 2:59

@Claw So they are! Thanks for the info. Anyhow, it's easy to find other examples: In Shanghainese, all of the tones in words with a voiced initial are lower than (although the same "shape" as) the corresponding tones in words with unvoiced initials. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 27 '13 at 4:50

@StumpyJoePete: I suppose your Cantonese example isn't completely inapplicable. While the checked-tone syllables can be analyzed as having tones 1, 3, and 6, and can sometimes occur with 2, tones 4 and 5 are still disallowed; so you could say that Cantonese syllables ending in -p, -t, and -k never occur with tones 4 and 5. –  Claw Jun 27 '13 at 7:17
show 1 more comment

The way I understand your question is:

When two characters have similar tones, like a third tone followed by a third tone, such as:

你好 Nǐ hǎo

Mandarin speakers tend to find it easier to say if they pronounce the first character as second tone, like:

Ní hǎo

Or two fourth tones will sound too harsh, like:

不对 Bùduì

The fourth tone on 不 will change to second tone for easier pronunciation.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for your answer, but I think that of Stumpy Joe Pete is closer to the initial intention of it. –  Manjusri Jun 23 '13 at 22:00
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.