Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could somebody help me identify these two characters?

enter image description here

The meaning of the first one should be "point" or something similar, the second one looks to me like a combination of 月 and 爭, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

share|improve this question

Where did you find these characters? I'm curious. –  Stan Jun 29 '13 at 15:16

They are part of the five principles of Wing Chun that are hanging in our gym, I managed to find most of the characters but had troubles finding these two. You can se all of them here –  JiriK Jul 13 '13 at 20:03
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

點 is (point). It's just written in a special "font".

㬹 is .

In 康熙字典, it is

enter image description here 《集韻》《類篇》甾莖切,音爭。足跟筋也。 又《集韻》側杏切。義同。

Which means 足跟筋也, i.e. tendon in the heel. It is pronounced as zhēng. Now it's seldom seen in Mandarin Chinese, but in spoken Cantonese, it's still widely and informally used (pronunciation zaang1). For example, 脚㬹(heel), 高㬹鞋(high-heeled shoes).

share|improve this answer

I think 㬹 is also more commonly seen written as 踭. –  Claw Jun 29 '13 at 20:31
@Claw That's right. 踭 is included in 《新华字典》. But note that, 踭 is a new character that has appeared for less than about one hundred years. 康熙字典 has no entry for 踭 and I can't find it in any older script for it either. –  Stan Jun 30 '13 at 5:41
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.