Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Taken from this news article

What does "酿" mean in this sentence:

苹果iPhone 5酿致命意外

share|improve this question

Also, please take the news article with a grain of salt. This story has not been verified to be true. –  xiaohouzi79 Jul 14 '13 at 10:31
@Stan Your comment is as complete as an answer so you should make it be:) –  NS.X. Jul 14 '13 at 18:26

@NS.X. I thought my statement of "the causality" sounded a little personal so I didn't put it as an answer :) Anyway, I will follow your advice. –  Stan Jul 15 '13 at 6:24
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

means lead to/result in in that sentence.

As the original meaning of 酿 is "the process of making wine", the sentence

A + 酿(成) + B

is a metaphor for "A leads to B (in a gradual/long-term process)", 喻事情积渐而成.

Issue of the causality

Personally, I think the sentence

苹果 iPhone 5 酿致命意外。 Apple iPhone 5 leads to a fatal accident.

is not rigorous enough. Though it is acceptable, and one may complete the sentence in mind as

苹果 iPhone 5 (的设计缺陷) 酿致命意外。 (The design flaw of) Apple iPhone 5 leads to a fatal accident.

So, a more logical sample sentence would be

疏忽酿大错。 Carelessness leads to serious blunders.

share|improve this answer

Thanks. Can you tell me if this is ever used conversationally? –  xiaohouzi79 Jul 15 '13 at 8:12
@xiaohouzi79 Yes, it can be used in a conversation. is a literary word, but not literary enough to sound like a pedant in a conversation :) –  Stan Jul 15 '13 at 8:20

@Stan I don't think we use 酿 as this meaning too much in daily conversations. Instead, it appears more in written Chinese. In oral Chinese, the collocation of "酿酒" in which 酿 means "brew" or the collocation of "佳酿" which means vintage wine is more common. –  Paul Allen Jul 25 '13 at 6:55

@52Dora: There's no conflict. I hadn't meant it can be used too much in conversations, but it's acceptable in conversations. –  Stan Jul 25 '13 at 7:01
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.