Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We got this stamp as a gift. What does the chinese characters translate to? It seems too long to just translate to "conscius".

enter image description here

share|improve this question

@Stan: Thanks! Won't you make it an answer, so I can accept it? –  Rasmus Faber Jul 31 '13 at 11:49

You're welcome. Done :) –  Stan Jul 31 '13 at 12:02

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

自觉的, just "self-conscious".

Note that, is seldom used today. It's an interchangeable character for (simplified Chinese) or (traditional Chinese), which means sense/feel.

PS: I think the one who made the stamp maybe didn't know Chinese. He or She might search conscius in an electronic dictionary and found the Chinese meaning 自觉的. However the translation can be greatly refined :)

share|improve this answer
Agreed, if it were me, I'll make it 自律. –  Yu Hao Jul 31 '13 at 12:36
Maybe they didn't know English either? Conscious is the usual spelling :) –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jul 31 '13 at 18:08

@YuHao Doesn't 自律 mean "(self-)disciplined"? –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jul 31 '13 at 20:27

@StumpyJoePete Yes it does. As the natural purpose for self-consciousness. To avoid being superfluous, assuming the stamp maker wants to say 'self-conscious', it should be 自觉 without 的. –  NS.X. Aug 1 '13 at 0:47
@StumpyJoePete cōnscius is Latin. And "conscius" is the name of their company. –  Stan Aug 1 '13 at 6:18

As the others have noted it means 'self-conscious.' The 的 adds a meaning of "being self-conscious" or "having the property of being self-conscious."

However, 觉 is simplified but 覺 is traditional. This leads me to believe that the stamp was made from Japan/Japanese, since the same Chinese character when rendered in Japanese it looks like 覚.

自覚的

This expression has basically the same meaning for both Chinese users of traditional and simplified and Japanese. (And probably Korean, though they would use 覺.)

share|improve this answer

Formally Japanese use too. –  Stan Aug 2 '13 at 4:36

well... traditional characters are still widely used today. In Chinese mainland, you can most of the Calligraphy are in traditional Chinese characters. And in Taiwan and Hongkong, they don't have simplified Chinese, they keep using traditional Chinese. However, in China mainland, simplified characters are offcial –  Yang Aug 2 '13 at 14:49

Speaking of the traditional set, Hong Kong uses a traditional set slightly older than the one used in Taiwan. You can see this in the use of: 為 (Taiwan) vs. 爲 (Hong Kong). You can also see this in the use of 神 where in Hong Kong the left radical is rendered as 示 and in Taiwan the left radical looks like a ネ. (I'm simulating these through a Japanese font...) –  Kylon Aug 2 '13 at 20:53

I mean "Japanese use 覺 as a formal character too". Yes, Japanese use 覚 more often. BTW, if you don't @me, I can't see your message :) –  Stan Aug 3 '13 at 10:36

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.