Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

https://soundcloud.com/menevets/chinesepod-museum-clip

Around 3 seconds in, it sounds like gan3 ding3, but I can't figure out what it means. I think gan3 is 感. Could ding3 be 顶?

na4 wo3 men jiu4 gan3 ding2 xu4 yu4 zhe4 ge bu3 wu3 guan3 ma.

那我们就 [? ? ] [絮语?] 这个博物馆吗.

I'm pretty sure the gist of the sentence is now let's [something something] this musesum

share|improve this question
It's 赶紧 (hurry up): 那我们就赶紧去这个博物馆吧. –  Stan Aug 11 '13 at 13:36
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

那我们就 赶紧 去这个博物馆吧! (Nà wǒmen gǎnjǐn qù zhège bówùguǎn ba) - We should quickly go to the museum now.

赶 gǎn:to catch up; to overtake; to hurry; to rush; to drive away

紧 jǐn:tight; strict; close at hand; near; urgent; tense; hard up; short of money; to tighten

赶紧:hurriedly; without delay

share|improve this answer

吧 fits the sentence much better, but she says it so fast, it sounds like ma. How do you tell the difference, it's so subtle. –  Steve Aug 11 '13 at 15:08
@Steve You don't really even need to focus on that. You can tell from the context. 那我们赶紧就去... sounds like a suggestion already so you can tell it's a 吧 (suggestive) and not a 吗 (question). –  Growler Aug 11 '13 at 15:26

Not very important but the audio said '那我们*就*赶紧去这个博物馆吧'. 就 is missed in this answer. –  NS.X. Aug 11 '13 at 18:41
@Steve 那 and 就 both suggest this sentence is affirming/echoing something said earlier instead of asking a question, so it must be 吧. –  NS.X. Aug 11 '13 at 18:43
@NS.X. actually 就 is important. I heard it in the recording but forgot to type it. Thanks though –  Growler Aug 11 '13 at 20:23
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.