Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to determine the meaning of a particular character. Sparing the boring details, I'm trying to figure out what the meaning of this character is:

enter image description here

As near as i can tell it might be a symbol for "longevity" but, the symbol for that "shou" looks more like that below?

enter image description here

Is the meaning of the top character correct? Is there a difference between these two versions of the character?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

This is just a variant of 壽.

If you suspect a character is a variant you can always go to the wiktionary entry and refer to the Unihan data which will show common variants or use the service I linked above if it is something more obscure.

share|improve this answer

I can't open your link, so I give a new one here, dict.variants.moe.edu.tw/yitia/fra/fra00836.htm, Ministry of Education, Taiwan tells us that the second one 壽 is considered as orthographically correct in current Taiwan, though not every choice they made is orthographically, as put by a Peking University professor 李鐸 (dajia.qq.com/blog/305258009262110), the standard imposed by Republic of China government is not always rigid. –  congliu Aug 20 '13 at 16:54
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.