Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

娘 is clearly niang2, but 炮 is a multiple pronunciation character; it can be bao1 or pao2 or pao4 according to the dictionaries I consulted. I tried searching Baidu for "娘炮拼音" but didn't find anything. Thanks for any help!

share|improve this question

I don't know pronunciations other than pào. Can you show the dictionaries (screenshots, for example) that you have consulted? –  ziyuang Sep 1 '13 at 15:34

This was in Pleco. I'm using the free version. A quick Baidu produced this: zhidao.baidu.com/question/164536391.html –  aelephant Sep 2 '13 at 0:00
add comment

3 Answers

Oh, get you a Taiwanese news (at 0:18 by the anchor, 0:58 by a student and 1:24, 1:56 by himself) about that, where it's pronounced as "niáng pào". I can tell that we use this word in mainland China too, here is the proof.

It refers to a sissy (a boy that other boys dislike because he prefers doing things that girls enjoy).

share|improve this answer

This was the translation for "pussy" on an episode of Walking Dead. –  aelephant Sep 2 '13 at 0:06

@aelephant In that case, it may not be the right translation. Pussy can refer to cowardice; 娘炮 is more like feminine behaviors. –  NS.X. Sep 17 '13 at 19:08
add comment

The answer is pao4 (the most common pronunciation)

如法炮製、炮烙 are pao2
炮羊肉 is bao1

• When pronouced pào, it usually means artillery.

鞭炮: firecracker

炮兵、炮手: artilleryman

• páo means burn or roast

如法炮製 is an idiom, means follow suit.

炮烙 is a ancient torture (stamp on someone's body with burning iron)

• And bāo means stir-fry or drying

炮羊肉: stir-fry lamb

炮乾: drying

but in fact, bāo is not in common use.

add comment

It's "niang2 pao4" The pronunciation "bao1" or "pao2" of "炮" rarely used.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.