Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Colloquial Cantonese phrases often differ significantly from Mandarin, so I would be nervous to use 你怎么样 pronounced in Cantonese.

Is there a greeting of identical (or nearly identical) meaning in Cantonese (ie, for closer acquaintances, implying "how are ya?" or "what's up?")?

share|improve this question

This question is likely too simple for someone who has a basic understanding of Cantonese and is something you would likely already know if you were serious about learning it. This sounds like a 'how do u say hi in Chinese' type question when u are not really serious about learning" –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 18 '11 at 10:31
Fair point and worthy of a down vote. I was looking for a a comment on the subtlety implied in a casual "what's up?" but I agree with your assessment. –  tbaums Dec 18 '11 at 12:49
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Normally we use the verb "点"

你点啊? leih dim a? English: What's up? (less formal)

你点样啊? leih dim yeung a? English: How are you doing? (more formal)

你近排点啊? leih gan pai dim a? English: How have you been doing?

你呢排点啊? leih li pai dim a? English: How've you been lately?

share|improve this answer

Can you translate these or note the differences between them in the tone they convey colloquially? –  tbaums Dec 19 '11 at 2:23
The first would be more casual like "How's it going?" while the second is a little more formal like "How are you doing?". The last two are essentially the same as far as my experience goes - "How have you been?" or "How have you been lately?". –  Zannjaminderson Dec 20 '11 at 22:45
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.