Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know both of them mean "want to" but have usage in differente contexts. When should I use each one?

For example:

我要厺上海市 and 我想厺上海市

What's the difference in the meaning between them?

Also, I've seen this two characters together in the setence. When they're together, is there a third context ?

share|improve this question

Can I ask, why do you use 厺 instead of 去? This was the first time I've ever seen the former and I had to look it up in a dictionary. –  Bjorn Dec 21 '11 at 19:18

I think the one I used was traditional writtern, whereas yours is simplified. Can check more at yizitong.com/dict/xinhua_results.php?o=%E5%8E%BB&l=1 –  gustavotkg Dec 21 '11 at 19:30

This is a very old shape for 去, and currently not even used traditional Chinese (well, a search on web didn't return many normal articles). So I think it is safe to say that this character is not used in current Chinese. It should be only used to transcribe very old articles, when the character did take this shape. –  fefe Dec 23 '11 at 10:34
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The way I differentiate between these two is using "want" and "need".

In English "need" still means "want to", but there is an added necessity.

This is apparent in the following two sentences:

我想吃饭

I want to eat

我要吃饭

I need to eat

You will also hear people using 需要 (Xūyào) to indicate need, so just think of 要 as a shortened version of that:

你需要我做什么?

What do you need me to do

想要 is interchangeable with 想 in most uses.

Also worth noting is 要 can be used to indicate "going to":

你为什么想把它弄坏了?

Why do you want to break it?

你为什么要把它弄坏了?

Why are you going to break it?

你为什么想去他家?

Why do you want to go to (his/her) house?

你为什么要去他家?

Why are you going to (his/her) house?

share|improve this answer
Is 需要 alway interchangeable with 要, or are there some rules about that? –  Cocowalla Dec 19 '11 at 8:40

@Cocowalla - They are interchangeable. –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 19 '11 at 9:27

Nice answer, thanks. I found this question when typing my own version of it. A small follow-up question for you: why did you translate 他家 as "his/her house"? 他 is unambiguously male, isn't it? –  Don Kirkby Dec 29 '11 at 6:30
@DonKirkby - On mainland China 他 is used for both male and female. I've only seen 她 used as a stylistic thing for advertising and some old formal writing. From my understanding 她 is still used in TW regularly. –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 29 '11 at 8:57

Fascinating. All my teachers have been from Taiwan, so I had no idea. –  Don Kirkby Dec 30 '11 at 6:37
show 2 more comments

要 has more certainty or confidence than 想 in tone.

So, 我要厺 is more like I will go and 我想厺 more like I really want to go but I don't know when or how ? –  gustavotkg Dec 18 '11 at 15:37

That's correct. –  Bruce Li Dec 18 '11 at 15:52

And how about these two together? –  gustavotkg Dec 18 '11 at 16:00
想要 = 想 in tone,but usually used to request someone else to do something. For example 我想要你帮我做一件事情。 –  Bruce Li Dec 19 '11 at 0:33
add comment

想 means you 'want to do' something , but maybe you would not to do it, just think about it. 要 means you 'will do' something and it have been put in your schedule

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.