Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know 二百五 stands for foolish/stupid and I assume I have to add up 二百五, 三八 and 二 to it to obtain 二百九. Is this right and if so, what does 二 mean and where it got its meaning?

share|improve this question
You're right. 二 is an internet slang in China, means stupid. But 三八 is not only "stupid", it also describes "a person who is like talking gossip (especially refer to a woman)". –  Stan Oct 4 '13 at 12:40
二 is just short for 二百五; that's all there is to it. –  congusbongus Oct 4 '13 at 14:10
@congusbongus I believe it's short for 二逼 (as it's an offensive word, the short form 二 will sound a little better by avoiding the profanity character "逼/屄"). –  Stan Oct 4 '13 at 14:23

Doesn't seem to be internet slang... It is a slang in Northern China, then spread on the internet by those students who study in PK... –  user58955 Oct 4 '13 at 16:43

@user58955 二逼 and 二百五 are definitely not internet slang. I mean the simplified form 二 may evolve during the Internet age. Like "给力", it originates from dialect, but its Chinglish form "geliable" would be better to be considered as internet slang. –  Stan Oct 4 '13 at 17:27
show 8 more comments

1 Answer

We Chinese don't say "二百九" but just "二百五" to describe someone is foolish, a typical example is:

你这个二百五,办事没有一件可以办好!

Besides we also have "二货"、“二B(Chinese character:屄;Chinese pronuncation: bi)”,This is a offensive saying that is always used to abuse others when you are angry or despise others (very very dirty!), so PLEASE DON'T USE THAT.

"二" can be also used traditionally in the north dialect of China, meaning "foolish". It can be used as an adjective word——e.g:

你真二!

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.