Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've mainly been learning to read/write Chinese using computer based software as opposed to going to lessons etc.

However, I've realised that there is a small handfull of characters that look different handwritten and on the computer (and sometime there seems to be variations between fonts as well)

For example: 聚

I've seen it written once, and the bottom looks very different (so much so that I didn't recognise the character!)

Is there a rule of thumb for variations between handwritten/computer fonts? Also, is it acceptable if I hand write characters in "computer form"?

Thanks!

edit: adding picture...

'ju4' two fairly different representations

From: http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chardict&cdcanoce=0&cdqchi=%E8%81%9A.

As you can see, those two characters (both 聚) seem quite different. If I remember correctly, the large black one is more similar to the handwritten one I saw (whereas the blue one is the one I usually see on the computer/mobile).

Note: I'm fairly sure this isn't a case of simplified vs traditional.

share|improve this question

possible duplicate of Reading handwriting –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 19 '11 at 2:59

Thanks for your question! This question has been covered in the linked one above. I suggest you review that question and its answers. If what you are asking is not covered there, you can edit your question to ask something specific. –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 19 '11 at 3:01

I had a look at that question before asking this one. I guess I'm more so asking what characters look different when in print (vs handwritten), as opposed to learning to read cursive/shortcuts/slang handwriting. –  pyko Dec 19 '11 at 4:29
That's just the different between fonts used in Mainland and Taiwan, not computer form and handwriting. I can't type the upper one in my computer because of lack of fonts. –  Kabie Dec 19 '11 at 5:17

@Kabie ic ic, opened word and tested out a few fonts - indeed depending on font the character changes. Do you know which is used in Mainland and which in Taiwan? –  pyko Dec 19 '11 at 6:13
show 3 more comments

3 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Ok, this is similar to another question about why certain people refer to 土豆 as peanuts and some as potato and some other people as something else.

Prior to the official process of simplification of characters there has already been different ways in which people were simplifying writing different characters, it didn't just happen overnight. So for certain characters and certain parts of characters there was already different ways of writing these.

And as per the language example above these traveled and certain simplifications were set in certain parts of the country so that there were regional differences. This in turn created sets of written characters used in different regions.

You can switch the character set your browser is using, but most pages now are served in Unicode.

I assume whatever encoding your browser has is not a standard Chinese font or Unicode. My Firefox browser detects the page as Unicode and it displays as follows:

enter image description here

UPDATE:

In answer to your question in the comments above as to which one is the right one for you to use?

Your best bet in answering a question like this is checking a dictionary. That way you can be sure you have the right one. The other resource you can use for this is wiktionary http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E8%81%9A

You can also see variants of characters at this site, including yours here: http://chardb.iis.sinica.edu.tw/variants.jsp?cid=19626 but this doesn't provide information if or where this is being used.

share|improve this answer

Changing to Unicode in Chrome doesn't seem to make a difference, but using Firefox shows the same as what you've got above. Now I'm slightly less confused knowing it is the encoding/font causing the difference. Thanks! –  pyko Dec 19 '11 at 6:47

@pyko - When I get home from work I will check it out in Chrome and have a look –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 19 '11 at 7:08

@pyko - Can I ask what operating system you are using? I suspect you are missing fonts as suggested below. –  xiaohouzi79 Dec 19 '11 at 7:39

I'm using a mac. I don't think it's a missing font issue (can see the character as you guys see it in firefox and also when I bring up word/pages and play around with the fonts). I'm thinking it is the default Chinese font used for Mac that is to blame (quick google gives: zonble.github.com/tcfail/en.html) –  pyko Dec 19 '11 at 12:40
add comment

I believe this happens because your PC lacks some fonts to show characters correctly. In my firefox, both of them are the same, no problem. I want to show the difference caused by fonts here below:

The font we used are(from top to bottom) Arial,Century Gothic,DejaVu Serif,RomanD,Times New Roman,仿宋_GB2312,黑体,楷体_GB2312,宋体. Have you seen the big difference between fonts for English letters and font for Chinese characters(3 characters at the beginning and the last character)? Even with different fonts for Chinese characters, there are some little differences. Usually, we use "宋体","仿宋" in print.

enter image description here

add comment

I use font type microsoft YaHei and the characters look very standard. I decided to change to another font because I had the same problem and I solved changing to this font.

Hope this help Fvazquez

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.