Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is a great question on 'how to practice reading for beginners' at the moment that's got a lot of really useful answers, and so I figured I'd ask for some useful things closer to my level. Does anyone have good resources for improving reading for upper-intermediate level?

I probably understand 70-80% of what I read in the newspaper, but generally the news is pretty dry. What types of materials (not specific titles) would people recommend to help with improving my reading skills?

How many words is 70-80%? –  Village Dec 25 '11 at 2:01

According to this tool on the Nciku blog (blog.nciku.com/blog/en/?p=2132) I know around 2000-2500 characters. Probably around 3000+ words? Hard to judge, hence the percentage. –  Ciaocibai Dec 25 '11 at 5:13

For visitors: If you're looking for resources visit the question Resources for learning Mandarin Chinese. –  Alenanno Feb 4 '12 at 14:41
comments disabled on deleted / locked posts

locked by Alenanno Feb 4 '12 at 14:41

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site, so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. More info: help center.

1 Answer

I would recommend

and I would also recommend preteen/teen books like Harry Potter and Twilight. The story isn't too complicated, and you get a chance to enhance your reading speed and smoothness level. I read Percy Jackson and Twilight. The story of Twilight was a little too cheesy for me, but I did learn a lot of new expressions and could read page after page without stopping.

are these physical books? or online resources? –  pyko Dec 24 '11 at 12:36

Would you be able to link to these? Cheers! –  Ciaocibai Dec 25 '11 at 5:05

Both are books, but couldn't find a link to the first one. It might be considered advanced level even, I had to look up some of the English translations for the vocabulary (!) –  Lars Andren Dec 26 '11 at 11:36
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.