Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any way to know what a character's pronunciation or tone is, based on the strokes or radicals that make up the characters?

share|improve this question
also look up ghoti's pronunciation. –  Flaw Dec 14 '11 at 13:16

@Flaw sorry, you've lost me - maybe I'm being a bit dense, but how does this relate to the question? –  Cocowalla Dec 14 '11 at 13:36

It's just something to illustrate that even in English we cannot accurately predict how the word is pronounced based on how it's written. –  Flaw Dec 14 '11 at 14:52
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 12 down vote accepted

Yes, for example these characters are taken from a Chinese grammar textbook:

enter image description here

There are obviously others, but as you can see, it's possible to guess the pronunciation. In other cases, according to the radicals, you can understand if they refer to a certain "topic", for example, the third one in that list is the radical for "water", the last one is the radical for "fire", and so on.

share|improve this answer

As xiaohouzi79 said, the tone is not "guessable", but at least the rest is understandable. –  Alenanno Dec 13 '11 at 22:52

Sometimes this similarities in parts of two character do match the same tone also, but all in all it's not an exact equivalence, and more a hint once you get to know a fair amount of characters. –  Petruza Dec 13 '11 at 23:06
Yes, @Petruza that's what I meant with my answer... It's more of a hint rather than a regular pattern or something similar. –  Alenanno Dec 13 '11 at 23:17
add comment

too many characters can be classified into "形声字", which consists of two parts, one (the radical) indicates the topic the character is referred to and the another indicates the possible pronunciation.

xiaohouzi79 shows a good example. But remember, there are some commonly used characters that don't follow this, when you can't read a character, dictionary is your best teacher.

a counterexample is 垠(yin2),and there is a character very similar with 艮,良(liang2)

and are also pronounced yin2, so isn't really an exception. H –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 20 '12 at 16:31

Here's a list of characters with the phonetic. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 20 '12 at 16:46
add comment

Definitely not for the tone.

As far as pronunciation it is possible to guess from the right hand side of a character, but this is not something that is reliable.

e.g. 根,跟,很,恨,狠

All end in an "en" sound, but this is about as close as you will get.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.