Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What software or On-line tools can detect the parts of speech in a piece of written text (e.g. to predict if a word is a verb, adjective, etc.)?

share|improve this question
very very useful question. i had never thought of doing that, but now i can't see how i lived without it all this time. –  magnetar Dec 25 '11 at 21:14
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I have had good results with the Stanford POS tagger.

share|improve this answer
Please include a link =). –  dusan Dec 27 '11 at 16:38
It is the first result on Google here! –  cburgmer Dec 27 '11 at 18:04

I've added the link to your answer. –  dusan Dec 28 '11 at 12:28
add comment

There is a web demo system called ICTCLAS (Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Lexical Analysis System). It was developed by the Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Science.

There is also a web demo system from THULAS (Tsinghua University - Lexical Analyzer for Chinese), which was developed by the Nature Language Processing Group, Tsinghua University.

NOTE: I don't know (and I cannot test) whether these site can be accessed freely across the world.
NOTE2: As with any software language tool, take the results with a grain of salt, they aren't perfect.

share|improve this answer
Both links do not seem to work. –  Village Dec 26 '11 at 6:39

@Village: Oh my god, I'm sorry for that ... –  fefe Dec 26 '11 at 8:02

Oh, the first one is working now. Maybe I just need to wait for the other to work. –  Village Dec 26 '11 at 8:26

@Village Really ... I cannot access the first now. I'll keep an eye on it. The first one has also a downloadable demo version. –  fefe Dec 26 '11 at 8:33
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.