Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What dictionaries are available that contain separate illustrations for most of the terms? I would prefer something in online or digital format.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

The Yale Picture Dictionary has a version for Chinese. This is a small dictionary for learners. It has basic words organized into categories (such as colours, animals, etc.). This is a dictionary to find new words to learn, not a dictionary to look up things in.

I have not used the Chinese version much (yet!), but I did use the Greek version extensively in the past and found it quite useful as a beginner. It is designed in a way so you can also use it in a similar way to flashcards ("do I remember what to call this thing in this picture")?

There is a similar illustrated vocabulary collection at LanguageGuide.org, just suggested to me by a friend. I have not used this (yet).

share|improve this answer
add comment

nciku.com has images for many of its entries (not the majority by any means, but most common nouns have images). There's also a 'theme words' section where all of the entries have images, categorised by subject (e.g. food, sports, clothing etc)

add comment

I found two but they are to be purchased and not free.

1. McGraw-Hill's Chinese Illustrated Dictionary: 1,500 Essential Words in Chinese Script and Pinyin lay the foundation of your language learning;
  2. Illustrated Chinese-English Dictionary.

The total number of words in both are very low. Are there any resources with more words? –  Village Dec 26 '11 at 6:42
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.