Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

CC-CEDICT is a Chinese to English dictionary, available for use On-line or for download (as a data file here: http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=cc-cedict). What similar projects provide an English to Chinese dictionary, with definitions of the English words explained in Chinese? I am looking for something with can be downloaded or purchased in a digital format (the data file, such as a commas-separated file or spreadsheet, not the front-end software used to view it).

share|improve this question
add comment

4 Answers

金山词霸 is a popular E-C dictionary among Chinese users: http://www.iciba.com/

It also has a downloadable version: http://cp.iciba.com/ .

share|improve this answer

The OP asked for "the data file, such as a commas-separated file or spreadsheet, not the front-end software used to view it", and I don't think any of these links provide this kind of data. –  this.lau_ Jan 3 '12 at 13:08

Does not answer the question -_- –  Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 20 '12 at 14:30
add comment

Only other two freely available that I'm aware of are Adsotrans and LDC wordlist.

Adsotrans is based on CC-CEDICT, but they also include (for non-commercial use) software for segmentation, hanzi2pinyin and apparently some sort of semantic analysis. I don't know whether dictionary itself differs from vanilla CC-CEDICT. Their download contains SQL instead of CSV. Also, if I remember correctly they used some sort sort of Latin-whatever encoding instead UTF-8.

If you're willing to pay then most popular option seems to licence ABC dictionary, but unfortunately University of Hawaii has granted Wenlin exclusive license so you'd have to sublicence it from them. See UH and Wenling respective pages here: www.otted.hawaii.edu/technology/00294/abc-chinese-language-database-dictionary and www.wenlin.com/abc.htm

If you find another free or free-ish/cheap database I'd be interested too.

add comment

You can try the "Youdao Dictionary" (有道词典) for iOS (available through the App Store).

There's also a version for computers, and an online version.

Is the database from this dictionary available? –  Village Dec 24 '11 at 9:01

This dictionary is only available for iOS devices (iPad, iPod, etc.) but not computers. –  Alenanno Dec 24 '11 at 12:05

Can you provide a few more details as to why someone would perform this search? What does this dictionary offer? Also, which App Store? –  Shog9 Dec 27 '11 at 20:44

@Alenanno It is available for computers, but I don't if the database is stored on the local computer or retrieved online. A lot of the translations of Youdao dictionary come from the Internet. –  fefe Dec 28 '11 at 0:50
add comment

There are several downloadable dictionaries for lingoes. However, the dictionaries seem to be in a proprietary format and can only be accessed with lingoes.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.