Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just came across 汹 which is the simplified version of 洶. I was quite surprised as 汹 is not mentioned in neither Chart 1 and Chart 2 of the structural simplification of characters. Another example is 蹤 which is derived in 踪 -, although not being part of chart 1- and despite the simplification from chart 2 從->从. I thought learning all characters from both chart 1 and 2 would be sufficient to be able to find the simplified version of any traditional character.

How consistent is the method of simplification, why publish those lists if they are not used consistently, are there any other characters which have a simplified form not derived from chart 1 and 2?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

The reason for why 汹 and 踪 being not listed in the 简化字总表 is:

They have been already used in the old times as variant characters with the same meaning, so they were listed in 异体字整理表 (Chart of Variant Characters). Although they are usually considered as simplified characters (even by native speakers sometimes), they are actually traditional characters.

For example, you can find in 康熙字典

【汹】《集韻》與洶同。 Jiyun: the same as 洶.

And you can find 踪 in 彙音寶鑑

【踪】仝蹤,踪迹。 The same as 蹤, means 踪迹 (trace).

So for your question:

"How consistent is the method of simplification, why publish those lists if they are not used consistently, are there any other characters which have a simplified form not derived from chart 1 and 2?"

I would say if you want to distinguish variant characters between mainland China and Taiwan / Hong Kong, it is better to learn 异体字整理表 (Chart of Variant Characters) as well.

BTW, good guess for 從->从 => 蹤->𧿛.

enter image description here is also a variant of 蹤, though it is not usually used today.

share|improve this answer

Thanks for this clear and precise answer! I will now study the variant list. –  Boki Oct 20 '13 at 9:14

You're welcome. But if you are a beginner, maybe it is not necessary to stick on such a minor problem :) –  Stan Oct 20 '13 at 9:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.