Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does an adverb of frequency usually occur after the verb? How should I say "how often do you play sports?"

你运动多久一次?

OR

多久运动一次?

share|improve this question

What are you trying to say? I don't think I quite understand the intended meaning. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Oct 22 '13 at 0:13

How often do you play sports? –  user3399 Oct 22 '13 at 0:48
"你多久运动一次?" means "How often do you play sports?" And "你运动多久一次?" means "How long does it last when you do sports for one time?" -- but only in spoken language, "你运动多久一次?" sounds a little ill-formed. –  Stan Oct 22 '13 at 1:15

3 Answers 3

Actually a frequency adverb should be put before a verb. For example:

我(Wǒ)常(chánɡ)常(chánɡ)游(yóu)泳(yǒnɡ)。 ( I always swim.)

我(Wǒ)周(zhōu)末(mò)偶(ǒu)尔(ěr)去(qù)逛(ɡuànɡ)街(jiē)。( I go for shopping on weekends occasionally.)

And “ How often do you play sports ?” could be translated as: 你(Nǐ)多(duō)久(jiǔ)运(yùn)动(dònɡ)一(yí)次(cì)?( how often = 多(duō)久(jiǔ) )

share|improve this answer

The second one is correct to express "How often do you play sports?"

BTW, I would like to give a comment to @Stan, that "你一次运动多久?" is better to express "How long does it last when you do sports for one time?". It's weird to say "你运动多久一次?".

+1 grammatically perfect to say like "你一次运动多久?". –  Stan Oct 23 '13 at 11:29

The second one is better (as the first is a little grammatically off):

你多久运动一次?

Although there's not really a hard and fast rule around whether it should be before or after the verb; from what I understand it should be based on the rest of the sentence structure. For example, these both work:

到底要多久你才會做完呢

你多久才會把它做完呢?

Perhaps it's best said that it goes before if it's being used as a descriptor for something (as in 多久 __ 一次) but not if it's used on its own / as the "length of time / how long" noun (as in 一次 多久)

[[nb. i might be terribly wrong. so take with a grain of salt like everything else on the internet :P]]

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.