Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm about to start learning mandarin chinese myself, without any teachers but with a help of textbooks and video (audio) lessons. My question is: where do I start, I mean, is it better to start with pinyin or with Han characters? What words do I need to start with? What about grammar? Maybe someone can recommend me a good book to start with?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by 50-3, 杨以轩, CA55CE37, deutschZuid, Claw Feb 21 at 22:17

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Ahhh they're not hieroglyphs! –  Stumpy Joe Pete Oct 23 '13 at 16:48
Thank you for pointing out. Is it better now? –  Bogdan Oct 23 '13 at 18:28

After you start learning, you can use this site as a sort of forum to ask for clarification or help! –  grayQuant Oct 26 '13 at 22:14

Please see this: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/1120/… –  CA55CE37 Feb 18 at 6:11

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Regarding starting with pinyin or characters: It's funny, I recently asked this question myself. In your case, I would recommend:

• Starting with basics of pinyin... getting the hang of pronunciation. TalkBank provides a pinyin chart that pronounces each for you given the selected tone. It's really cool. Just choose a tone, and click on a vowel/initial.

• Learn the 4 tones.

Mā: 妈 = mother
    Má: 麻 = hemp
    Mǎ: 马 = horse
    Mà: 骂 = scold

• Start pairing characters with pinyin. Learn the basics/greetings.

Nǐ hǎo: 你好 = hello
    Xièxiè:谢谢 = thank you
    Bù kèqì: 不客气 = you're welcome
    Zài jiàn: 再见 = good bye

• Solidify what you've learned by practicing in a chat room. I recommend Zhongwen.com > then go to LiaoTian! (chat). Informal chat rooms were hugely helpful for me to get started.

• Once you have some basics of chatting down, maybe head over to a Chinese restaurant and try ordering in Chinese (most speak Mandarin or at least some Mandarin that I've encountered). Or find a local Chinese market, or anything... Anything for you to go and practice speaking Mandarin. This will get you comfortable speaking. But you need a foundation with the words first. So keep practicing them.
  • For a book, Stumpy Joe recommended this one. Also look at the community wiki for Chinese learning resources.

Good luck! If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

share|improve this answer

Your answer is just what I was asking for. Very thankful for book, chat room and TalkBank recommendation. –  Bogdan Oct 23 '13 at 20:16

Start with PinYin. Don't worry about writing and grammar at this stage. Find a native speaker to correct your tones. I have used chinese-bootcamp.com practice session several times, very useful to practice with native speakers.

share|improve this answer

Pinyin is difficult and illogical for people who don't already know Chinese. And it makes it easy to ignore tones until it's too late. I suspect learning through pinyin is a reason so few otherwise fluent foreigners have good tones. –  hippietrail Feb 16 at 7:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.