Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

i'm trying to figure out the meaning of the term 女生.

I was told it's something deeper than "school girl"/"student girl"/not married"/"beauty" or anything like that.

I know that in separated one means birth and the other means female or woman but together..

Would appreciate your help on translating.

Thanks.

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by xiaohouzi79 Nov 3 '13 at 23:52

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you please confirm if you mean 姓 or 女生. Can you also edit your question to show a problem that is not answered by a standard dictionary. If you are having a particular problem that cannot be answered by a dictionary please edit your question and then use "flag" to request a moderator to review. –  xiaohouzi79 Nov 3 '13 at 23:54
add comment

3 Answers 3

女生 just means girl. If you are an English speaker, ask yourself what is the deep meaning of girl and that will answer this question. There isn't a deep meaning in every single Chinese word/phrase.

share|improve this answer

my teacher said it means: family name. that mothers give their family name to their children –  user3427 Oct 28 '13 at 7:57

I am sorry to say your teacher is wrong. Children take on their father's family name so that doesn't make any sense. –  grayQuant Oct 28 '13 at 17:07
No, OP's teacher is correct when it is a historical topic. See and . –  Stan Oct 29 '13 at 2:06
@Stan, I see my mistake. OP wrote 女生, which I perceived to be separate characters meaning girl or female. 姓 is a different story. –  grayQuant Oct 29 '13 at 4:55
add comment

It simply means girl, not necessary to stand for students or adolescents.

add comment

In mainland China, 女生 refers to school girls,in Taiwan 女生 refers to school girls and the girls who haven’t married yet

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.