Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While visiting Dr. Sun Yat-sun Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver, B.C. I noticed the sign "&" (Ampersand) is posted everywhere. The tour guide said that "&" means money in Chinese, it is the most important sign in Chinese language. I never heard about that before, is it true?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by xiaohouzi79 Nov 3 '13 at 23:57

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you provide a photo? I can't think out any meaning of & in Chinese except its western usage "and". –  Stan Nov 2 '13 at 7:07

Nor have I ever heard about it. '&' is even not a chinese literal. The same suggestion as above, a photo could be provided and we'll see if it might be some sign else. –  shuangwhywhy Nov 2 '13 at 14:25

They are wrong, "&" means nothing in Chinese. –  tomriddle_1234 Nov 3 '13 at 23:05
Thanks for your question. We are unsure what you are asking without a picture. Unclear questions result in unclear answers. If you could provide more info and then use "flag" to get moderators to reopen the question once you have edited your question. –  xiaohouzi79 Nov 3 '13 at 23:58

3 Answers 3

maybe you want to check this: http://vancouverchinesegarden.com/calendar/iain-baxter/

share|improve this answer
I think this must be the explanation. It's part of an artist's self-chosen "name" (Iain Baxter&) who has an exhibit at the garden in question. His works of art all seem to have an ampersand in them. –  Stumpy Joe Pete Nov 3 '13 at 21:39

It's possible you could be looking at a highly calligraphic "钱", or qián, which means "money". I could see those swirly lines bleeding together and looking like an "&".

I'm stumped for any other ideas!

Traditional Chinese money is "¥". (Your PC's input mode to Chinese, and then press "Shift" and then input "4")。

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.