Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone assist with providing the correct Chinese characters for the saying "bu da jie" which means unrelated.

This saying appears in the Suzhou dialect so it is quite common in our household, but I don't know how to write this.

share|improve this question
不搭界 (literal translation: not reaching the boundary) –  user58955 Nov 28 '13 at 1:38

Yes, it should be 不搭界. I remember in Suzhou dialect, this word sounds like "fu da ga". –  Huang Nov 28 '13 at 3:53

@Huang - yes, quite similar to that –  xiaohouzi79 Nov 28 '13 at 11:01

@Huang That's the pervasive pronunciation in most of the Wu dialects. –  deutschZuid Dec 3 '13 at 3:52

I, as someone from Northern China, have used this term very frequently, although I tend to pronounce it as 'bu da ga'. I always thought it as a slang derived from Beijing dialect. It is interesting to know it actually came from Wu dialects. –  Mingjing Zhang Dec 8 '13 at 4:26
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

不搭界 (bùdājiè in Mandarin) is a common informal expression in Wu dialects (which include Shanghainese and the Suzhou dialect). Its literal meaning, as indicated in the comments, refers to 'not having a common boundary'. In current usage, it refers to two matters, objects or people having no shared connection or relationship.

An example, of two people quarrelling:

A: 阿拉从此浑身不搭界!
B: 随便侬!

A: We don't have anything to do with each other from now on! (lit: We from now on are unrelated all over the body)
B: Whatever! (Lit: “Do as you wish”)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.