Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Chinese, ”委屈“ has the meaning of being treated unfairly and consequently felt bad but didn't dare to complain.

"be upset" doesn't necessarily imply being treated unfairly.

"be wronged" doesn't seem to imply feeling bad but not dare to complain.

So how would you say it in English?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

I don't think there is a simple expression that captures that exact nuance in English. For the feeling generated you could describe the person as "simmering with resentment". Otherwise, I might say "he/she was wronged but couldn't air his/her grievances."

share|improve this answer
I don't think 委屈 includes the feeling of resentment. –  Question Overflow Dec 6 '13 at 2:42

Nor do I, but it is a common feeling if one thinks one has been wronged and cannot do anything about it. –  user238264 Dec 6 '13 at 3:25
add comment

Hmmm... I would say 'didn't know what I could do' in English. However, unlike in English, it has a sense of not being understood by the common.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.