Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm playing around with my mother tongue so I tried to translate sentences that I might write into Chinese. One of them was this sentence, in English.

"The great strength of Annie comes from the long range of her fire ball."

I put in:

安妮的主力是她的很长的(???)火球.

What should be in the missing slot?

share|improve this question
"Great strength" should not be translated to "主力". Simply "强大的力量" fits more. I would translate the whole sentence like "安妮强大的力量来自于她远射程的火球". –  Stan Jan 4 at 2:20

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In gaming field, (of) long range is commonly translated into 远程 or 远距离, and ranged attacked is 远程攻击. You can use 射程 when you want to express the notion of range.

By the way, 主力 is not the right word for strength. If you use 主力 here, it means primary (attack method). To say strength you may want to use 强项 or 优势.

So I would translate this way:

"The great strength of Annie comes from the long range of her fire ball."

安妮最大的优势是她远距离的火球。

share|improve this answer

I would use 射程, which means "range of fire" in English. Are you sure that you have all those 的s in the right place? Although 远程 is the more common way of expressing long range, it obviously cannot be inserted into the sentence given.

It sounds right as a naive Chinese speaker, but I don't know if it is necessarily grammatical. –  user2791656 Jan 3 at 22:18

how does 她长程的火球 sound to you? –  user238264 Jan 3 at 22:19

That sounds fine, though a little clipped. Adding the 'de' clarifying after 她 feels a little more fluid than me, but it would be understandable. –  user2791656 Jan 3 at 22:28

I would use 她射程很长的火球, or 她的火球的射程很长 –  congusbongus Jan 4 at 0:15
射程 is perfectly right in this case. But 射程 is not suitable for melee attackers imho. 攻击范围/距离 is more general. –  hrzhu Jan 4 at 9:54

Long range ballistic missiles are translated as 远程导弹

so I would say 远程火球

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.