Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What software do most of you using for typing Chinese characters, and is it developed by someone Chinese? I am using Sougou.

share|improve this question

Is your computer running Windows, OS X, or Linux? –  Ming Jan 6 at 7:28

I using windows most time, and a little UBUNTU. –  Dimpagger Jan 6 at 7:30

pinyinjoe.com/windows-7/win7-pinyin-setup.htm that should help you –  Ming Jan 6 at 7:31
add comment

closed as primarily opinion-based by Stumpy Joe Pete, Stan, user238264, NS.X., congusbongus Jan 6 at 11:48

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

In Windows, there are so many tools to help you to type Chinese characters. Such as google pinyin, Microsoft pinyin IME(if you know pinyin of the Chinese characters), and so on. If you use Ubuntu, there are also many options, type the command to install scim sudo apt-get install scim scim-pinyin, or you can try iBus(I use it in linux):

sudo apt-get install ibus ibus-clutter ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4 
sudo apt-get install ibus-pinyin

after you install them, enable or disable them by hitting Control + Space by default then you can type Chinese characters by Pinyin.

share|improve this answer

scim is obsolete. Recent Ubuntu have ibus pre-installed, you might need to install ibus-pinyin. –  hrzhu Jan 6 at 8:41

@hrzhu I haven't use Ubuntu for a few years, things changed:) –  jfly Jan 6 at 8:49
add comment

I will give you another way to input Chinese without installing any software.

1. Enter Gmail setting
  2. In General setting, under Language
  3. Check "Enable input tools - Use various text input tools to type in the language of your choice", and Click Edit tools choose 拼音 or 漢語拼音
  4. You can type Chinese when you are writing email.

And I believe it works with Google Drive too.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.