Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So far I have

President • 总统

FOUNDER • 创办人

CEO • 主席

CMO • 营销总监

Are these the correct characters to use on a business card for each title listed above?

share|improve this question
Without context, it is hard to tell what president would be translated to. Banks tend to give out such inflated corporate titles freely to make their customers feel important. Traditionally, a president is equivalent to the position of a CEO. –  Question Overflow Jan 7 at 2:25
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I will go over your list one by one. Please note I am talking about the mainland and not sure it is true for HK or Taiwan.

1) President • 总统

It is true only if this president is managing a country, otherwise don't call him/her 总统. Depends on the type of organization, a president could be:

• 总统 if he/she is the top governor of a country

• 主席 if he/she is the leader of a club

• 董事长 if he/she is the chairman of a board

• 校长 if he/she is the leader of a school

So this one could be tricky and you really need to bring the context in.

2) FOUNDER • 创办人

This translation is fine, or you can say 创始人.

3) CEO • 主席

Most cases this will be translated to 总裁, but it can also be left as is and no translation required... It has been kind of a fashion to print CXO in the business card or title.

4) CMO • 营销总监

This is fine.

share|improve this answer

CEO is 行政总裁 to be more accurate. –  Question Overflow Jan 7 at 2:28

I believe CEO translated to 首席执行官 would be better. –  einverne Jan 7 at 5:34
add comment

President • 总统 (for people like Obama)、 董事长 (chairman of board) 、(副)总裁 (vice) president

FOUNDER • 创始人

CEO • 首席执行官

CMO • 市场总监 or 首席市场官

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.