Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am not sure if I used the idiom 惹人心烦 correctly. This is the sentence I used, 好啊,然而我不要惹人心烦。 Would that be a good use of it or is there a better way of saying you don't want to be a pain in the neck for someone?

share|improve this question

惹人心烦 is not an idiom (chengyu). A better phrase would be 我不想整天唠叨[láo dāo] to imply that you don't want to be a constant pain in the neck for someone by nagging whole day. –  Question Overflow Jan 8 at 3:27

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Looks fine to me. But you could say 不好意思麻烦你 = sorry for bothering you. To me 麻烦你 sounds like a more colloquial way of talking about bothering someone or being a trouble for someone.

share|improve this answer

Sounds a little strange to me.

Incidentally, one can get beaten up in school simply by referring to oneself as one. - Sheldon Cooper

Here maps quite well to one as a third person neutral pronoun, but more often than not, is used to refer to oneself, such as me or us (although it can also refer to you, her or them, in most contexts, it points to self).

So for make, for one, for heart (mood), for annoyed: 惹人心烦 literally means make one annoyed.

Examples:

这天气真是惹人心烦。(The weather really makes one annoyed. (me or us))

楼上的邻居真是惹人心烦。(The upstairs neighbor really makes one annoyed. (me or us))

对你/她来说,那也许是惹人心烦的吧!(you/her)

--

The correct way to say you don't want to be a pain in the neck for someone is 我不想惹你心烦 (yes, you can substitute directly with if you are talking to that person). On the other hand, 我不想让你麻烦 or 我不想麻烦你 means something different, something similar to I don't want to bother you or I don't want to trouble you). LadyP's interpretation of 麻烦你 is correct.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.