Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm finding in the non-touristy places in China where I'm spending my time in cheaper places etc that there's often no place to wash your hands, or it's dirty, or there's no soap.

I've been recommended to buy some hand sanitizer, but the Wikipedia page doesn't link to a Chinese equivalent and Wiktionary doesn't even include an entry for hand sanitizer.

I've never been one to use it before so I'm not an expert, but I think the key things about hand sanitizer that make it different to liquid soap is that 1) it is alcohol-based and does not require water, and 2) doesn't just clean but disinfects, so is better than soap for preventing spread of diseases such as the common cold.

Google Translate offers sever alternatives though:

1. 洗手液 xǐshǒu yè
  2. 洗手 xǐshǒu
  3. 免洗洗手液 miǎn xǐ xǐshǒu yè
  4. 消毒洗手液 xiāodú xǐshǒu yè
  5. 的洗手液 de xǐshǒu yè

Of these, I don't trust 2. and 5. - the first because it translated back as "wash your hands" and the second beause starting with the character doesn't seem right for a noun phrase.

So on the fact of it, 1. looks most versatile with 3. and 4. just being alternative long equivalents. But is it so simple in reality.

(For me right now the term most useful in Hebei province is probably what I want.)

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

If you want to say hand soap (not necessarily for sanitation), you can use 洗手液. To specifically ask for hand sanitizer (for disinfection/sterilization), you may want to use 消毒洗手液. Below is an analysis for the options you've listed.

洗手液 xǐshǒu yè

(Liquid) hand soap. Here soap is in general sense, could be sanitizer, scented soap, skin smoother, etc.

洗手 xǐshǒu

(Verb phrase) to wash hand

免洗洗手液 miǎn xǐ xǐshǒu yè

Waterless hand soap. Though not explicitly stated in the name, the waterless hand soap products are mostly sanitizers.

消毒洗手液 xiāodú xǐshǒu yè

Hand sanitizer. (消毒 means to sterilize.)

___的洗手液 de xǐshǒu yè

(Incomplete phrase) hand soap of _

share|improve this answer

Just a nitpick you analysed all the options, but didn't actually answer the question (-; –  hippietrail Jan 9 at 5:53

@hippietrail I wasn't sure if you want to express strictly 'hand sanitizer' or just 'hand soap', so I just explain the options and leave it to you to choose:) –  NS.X. Jan 9 at 6:07

I specifically want hand sanitizer. I meant to link to the Wikipedia page but it looks like I didn't. Let me fix that. –  hippietrail Jan 9 at 6:15
@hippietrail Answer updated. –  NS.X. Jan 9 at 6:36
Regarding 免洗洗手液, why isn't it 免水洗手液? –  user58955 Jan 10 at 11:19

1.洗手液 xǐshǒu yè

This is what you are looking for.

share|improve this answer
I disagree. 洗手液 is mostly used for liquid soap. This is not what hippie is looking for. –  deutschZuid Jan 10 at 4:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.