Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just felt like typing "hello" in Chinese in a chat room (with no Chinese speakers in it but what the hey...)

Halfway through it struck me that there's "你们" (nǐhǎo) for hello, "你" (nǐ) meaning you, and what about "你们" (nǐmen) being more or less a plural "you"? In Spanish for "welcome" you can say "bienvenido" to one person or "bienvenidos" to two people, so there could be similar in other languages.

Well my IME suggested "你们好" as first option when I typed "nimenhao", so that made me think it actually is used?

So I come here to ask of ye experts, What actually is the story with "你们好"?

share|improve this question
Yes, 你们好 is actually used for greeting multiple people at once. Similarly, "how are you all?" => "你们好吗?" –  Stan Jan 9 at 16:32

I should've stated in my question that I ask because I've never come across it in the teaching materials, phrasebooks, or websites I've used. (I have not studied Chinese seriously though I am currently in China.) –  hippietrail Jan 9 at 16:36
A couple of answers mention 大家好 ‘dàjiā hăo’ or ‘Hello everyone’. I like this one, it is more chatty and doesn’t presuppose any relationship with the addressees. The characters literally mean 'big family'. –  neubau Jan 13 at 17:55
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Yes it's in actual use.

But you need use it carefully, because "你们好" is always used when famous people meeting their fans, or teacher meet there students. If you are meeting elders or in honorific expression, you should use "您好" to each person, even if there are many people at the same time.

share|improve this answer
That's interesting! –  hippietrail Jan 10 at 4:24

@hippietrail : Yes there are more interesting things in Chinese, enjoy! –  夏至夕陽 Jan 10 at 5:40
add comment

Yes, there are a whole range of greetings similar to "你好", including "你们好", “大家好”, “老师好”, and so on.

add comment

I feel 你们好 is a little stiff sentence, and I believe that people prefer to say 大家好 instead of 你们好.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.