Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

and also: "to build", "a build", a "code drop", etc ..

I'm working with a software development team and i'm struggling with specific software related vocabulary.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by user238264, Stan, NS.X., Question Overflow, Claw Jan 15 at 3:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – user238264, Stan, NS.X., Question Overflow, Claw
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

First, this is a language study and linguistics site, not a translation service, please show some research effort in the question. Second, I am not aware of a standardized way to express the concept of 'a drop', 'a build', or 'a release' in Chinese, at least not in Mainland China. 'To build' is commonly translated into '构建', hence 'build server' is '构建服务器'. You need to use it in the sentence in a smart way to avoid confusion with 'to build a server'. –  NS.X. Jan 12 at 21:48
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Build Server: 编译服务器 to build: 编译(编译整个工程) a build: 一个版本的编译,编译的一个版本 a code drop: 一个代码实现 (minor milestone)

share|improve this answer
If you translate "build" to 编译, which word would you choose for "compile"? –  Stan Jan 13 at 0:20
I think in fact 编译 could be used on both compile and build, I don't think it is proper to translate it to other Chinese word. Of course you can use 生成 or other words, but 编译 is used most commonly, although build = compile + link, they are different things. Whereas no one uses 构建 I believe, you don't expect programmers as professional translators so that among Chinese IT books, there are different translations. –  tomriddle_1234 Jan 13 at 1:01

I just checked some online dictionary in Chinese, sometimes build is translated as 编连(编译和连接). But I never heard of this word from people though. –  tomriddle_1234 Jan 13 at 1:06

Well, if both compile and build are on the menu, translating both into 编译 is definitely ambiguous and confusing. You have to do something to distinguish them. Or, leaving them in English would be even better. –  Stan Jan 13 at 1:48

i've found that "build server" can also be translated as: 持续集成服务器 - continuous integration server, which is also correct I guess. –  Lionel Jan 13 at 1:52
show 1 more comment

BUILD SERVER 搭建服务器,for both hardware and software terms. A BUILD, depends on the context, can be translate as 一款软件建成的版本

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.