Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a way to type radicals on a computer? I'd like to insert some in a document I'm writing but I'm not sure how to write those that don't correspond to an actual word. Any tips? Thanks!

share|improve this question
It depends on which IME you're using. If you're using the most popular IME in current mainland China, i.e. Sougou Pinyin, you can use its "u mode" to input radicals with its strokes. For example, can be input by udds (点点竖), 艹uhss (横竖竖), 灬udddd (点点点点), etc. If you don't have one IME, you can also look up what you want on this wiki page. –  Stan Jan 16 at 12:36

Wow! How do you memorize which letter combination is which radical? –  Sajimi Jan 16 at 15:25

Strokes: 横(h, short for héng), 竖(s, short for shù), 撇(p, short for piě), 捺(n, short for nà), 点(d, short for diǎn). I know how to write the radical, so it's easy, just first type a "u" and then the stroke order. –  Stan Jan 16 at 16:11

@Sajimi Practise more :-) It's a instinctive work rather than a memory work. –  Mike Manilone Jan 23 at 15:16
add comment

3 Answers

1. Install input method tools such as Google Pinyin Windows only
  2. type u start to input
  3. then type follow to input radicals

丨 shu 竖

一 heng 横

丿 pie 撇

礻 shi 示

衤 yi 衣

But I think most easy way is Ctrl+C,Ctrl+V There is a list of radicals. Find it and copy it.

share|improve this answer
add comment

You could also go to http://www.inputking.com and type shu, then select the appropriate character.

add comment

I would rather recommend Cangjie input method. It's not pinyin-based.

For example, 「亻」 is 「竹中」(i.e. 丿丨).

It's very easy-to-learn. You can combine the use of pinyin and cangjie.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.