Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to name my baby daughter "嫣" which is written as "yān", per pinyin.

However my elder daughter's name is "彥" which is pronounced as "yàn".

Is it considered taboo to give my daughters the similarly pronounced name, though it is different in Chinese?

share|improve this question

Closing as "Primarily opinion-based". –  deutschZuid Jan 23 at 0:56
add comment

closed as primarily opinion-based by Question Overflow, Stan, deutschZuid, NS.X., 50-3 Jan 30 at 1:59

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

3 Answers

I never heard of such kind of "taboo". But if you are very sensitive with this for some reasons like you believe in things like 周易取名, you may search 周易取名 on Google or Baidu. I think most of the key/original information is in Chinese.

Anyway, I think is a very good name for a girl while sounds like a boy's name.

share|improve this answer
add comment

There is no such "taboo".

And I think it's very beautiful name, when you have one more child, you can also pick the name in "yan" series. e.g. 燕

But never pick the names in the same tone for different children. Same tone means 燕 and 艳 are in the same tone: yan4

add comment

No such Taboo.

is a very nice character used in name. in most time means beautiful smile and also means someone is very beautiful. I have a lot of girl classmates using in their names.

means people with knowledge and good morality. I once have a boy classmate having in his name.

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.