Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is my translation right?

Here's the context (conversation about Snowden):

A: 未证实的意思呢就是还没有去证实、证明它是一个事实。

B: 嗯。我想,会吗?他可能已经在暗中做安排了吧。

A: 这个只是他们的官方说法嘛,呵呵。

Does it mean different things in different contexts?

Transcript of conversation

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

B: 嗯。我想,会吗?他可能已经在暗中做安排了吧。

First, this is a transcription of colloquial dialog, which means the lines can be fragmented and is not entirely grammatical.

Second, I can see how it can be ambiguous and misleading due to the punctuation. Actually, 他可能已经在暗中做安排了吧 is also a part of the 'thinking'. It could have been clearer if it had been punctuated this way:

B: 嗯。我想:“会吗?他可能已经在暗中做安排了吧。”

Which makes the meaning obvious:

B: Yes. I was thinking, is it possible that some arrangements had been done by him already, in secret.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Translation of 我想会吗? - I thought, is it possible?

"我想":You don't need to translate this because this is called (Parenthesis,插入语). No real meaning. So just translate it as "Is it possible" is right.

It takes the same action like "you see" in English

I have a lot of flowers, you see, there are red,green,blue,yellow……

add comment

Can you provide the source or the whole conversation? I've read the dialogue a few times. I think 会吗 is a rhetorical question here. It means B doesn't believe what A says. And A replies 这个只是他们的官方说法嘛. A says it's just their official announcement. It can be just diplomatic parlance.

Sure, I added the link in my OP. It's around the middle, if you do a page find on 我想,会吗?, you'll see it. –  Steve Jan 29 at 17:01
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.