Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Trying to translate this: 始终是碰不上边的...

From the beginning, not able to meet (in agreement) with those above?

I searched on "不上边" in 百度 and it seems there are multiple ways to interpret it - position-wise and for example, this: 世界杯与穷人沾不上边. Here top is not top as in position, but priority? Does 不上边 have different meanings?

Here's the context for the first phrase:

Connie: 龃龉,我们看它的汉字。这两个字呢,都有一个,牙齿的齿… …它的左边。

徐州: 那跟牙齿有关系。

Connie: 啊,有关系。龃龉呢是说,牙齒上下,对不起。

徐州: 啊…

Connie: 嗯,就是它对不上,就是很错乱的。

徐州: 啊…唉…

Connie: 看起来很难看吧。

徐州: 对的。

Connie: 啊, 所以它用来比喻呢,啊, 双方的意见不和。

徐州: 嗯。观念啊、关点啊、始终是碰*不上边*的。

Connie: 嗯,对。

徐州: 好。

Connie: 所以我们会说龃龉不断或者发生龃龉。就是两个人产生意见不和你可以说发生龃龉。

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

There's two things going on; a verb (碰边 or 沾边) and an auxiliary verb (不上) inserted in the middle.

碰边, 沾边 literally mean "to touch the edge", which is a metaphor for relationship. 不上 means "unable to" in this context (similar to 不到 or 不得). So altogether, 碰不上边 means "unrelated".

share|improve this answer

I would probably refer to 不上 as a verb infix, rather than an aux verb. Anyway, terminology aside, this answer is right on the mark. –  deutschZuid Feb 5 at 0:28

@deutschZuid sure; I'm no linguist so if you think the terminology can be corrected, please go ahead and make an edit. –  congusbongus Feb 5 at 0:29
add comment

Are there multiple translations for 不上边?

The related phrases are:

1)无关

2)不着调

3)牛头不对马嘴

haha, I like #3, very interesting! –  amateur Feb 5 at 7:10
add comment

碰不上边(cannot touch each other's edge)=对不上(cannot match each other)=不合(cannot agree with each other)

不知道词源是怎么样的,但是你想象有两个盘子,连边都碰不上,怎么可能合得上呢? (How can they match each other (like we are doing a jigsaw) even if their edge cannot touch each other?)

说 两个人(意见)不合,就是说they don't agree with each other.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.