Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've been told by native speakers that the former refers to little dogs while the latter is for bigger dogs. I also have been told that the latter has a negative connotation. I'm wondering:

1. how negative is the meaning of 一条狗?
  2. is one used by speakers of a certain age or from a certain region?
share|improve this question

when 狗 is in the word of 热狗 (hot dog), you can not use 条。 you can either use 只 or 个。 probably 个 is better. –  Laguna Jan 10 '12 at 22:04

3 Answers 3

There's no negative connotation, at all.

条 and 只 are used interchangeably in today's Chinese, not just specific to a region. Long ago, 头(頭)were used as a quantifier for dogs or other farm animals. I suspect "head" was dropped because dogs do not have stocky builds as other animals(pigs, donkeys, bulls etc). Also "头" tends to associate "dumb animals" and dogs are perceived as intelligent.

条 in most cases is used to quantify something that's slender, e.g. 一条路(road), 一条河(river),一条虫(worm).

I say 一只狗 because it seems to make more sense considering others animals of simliar size and stature also use 只. e.g. 一只猫,一只狐狸 etc. But this is just a personal preference.

share|improve this answer

条 and 只 are interchangeable for 狗, bug not for any other example you give in the answer. (Oh, 一只虫 seems to be possible) –  fefe Dec 27 '11 at 1:44

@fefe yes in the context of the question, they're interchangeable. Now I wonder where 一條好漢 came from... –  Jin Dec 27 '11 at 3:40

@fefe I don't think 一只虫 and 一只狗 are used often. Rather, 一只小狗 and 一条狗 make more sense. –  gonnastop Mar 19 '12 at 5:01

I'm afraid I cannot agree with you (or with the native speakers who told you so).

The expressions don't have the differences mentioned in your posts. To me they are equivalent. I prefer "条" though, for no reason.

In most of context, those two just exchangeable. 只 and 条 is measure word, sometimes 只 means 'little' and 条 means 'long' and maybe 'big'. for some person,esp. girls, 'little' hint 'lovable'.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.