Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If you take out 手中, isn't the translation, YouTube founder buys Delicious from Yahoo, still conveyed? What does 手中 add?

http://tech.sina.com.cn/i/2011-04-28/09065460713.shtml

share|improve this question
I think it's emphasis. 手中 here emphasizes that Delicious was a part of Yahoo, firmly controlled by Yahoo, etc. A typical construction involving 手中 is 从他手中抢走了xx, here the underlying message is that xx was firmly controlled by someone but grabbed by the other. –  user58955 Feb 11 at 16:35
@user58955 That seems like a perfectly fine answer. Why not add it as an answer instead of a comment so you can get the appropriate credit? –  Claw Feb 11 at 17:06

手中:someone takes the charge of sth, someone manages something, someone owns something. –  CA55CE37 Feb 12 at 3:08

I don't think it's emphasis. Removing 手中 doesn't just undo a emphasis meaning. It's totally weird to say 从他抢走了XX –  Aw Qirui Guo Feb 13 at 1:27

3 Answers 3

1. “手中” means Delicious belonged to Yahoo, in this Headline the author treated Yahoo as a person (of cause a person with hands) —— Yahoo hold Delicious in his hands, and the creators of YouTube take Delicious from Yahoo's "hands".

2. “手中” 相当于“那里”(there)

“YouTube创始人从雅虎手中收购Delicious” has the same meanig as “YouTube创始人从雅虎那里收购Delicious”

share|improve this answer

Original:

YouTube创始人从雅虎手中收购Delicious

After removing 手中:

YouTube创始人从雅虎收购Delicious

I don't think the second one sounds good. 手中 doesn't only express that Yahoo owns Delicious before the acquisition but also act as a complement to 雅虎.

Thinking again, I don't think it's just an emphasis usage because YouTube创始人从雅虎收购Delicious sounds really weird. In Chinese is looking for a noun for place not just a noun. A few examples:

从北京得到的消息 - ok, because 北京 is a place

从宾馆到机场 - ok , because 宾馆 is a place

从张三那里得到的消息 is better than 从张三得到的消息 because 张三 is just a name not a place.

手中 actually indicates somebody possess something. For example B从A手中拿走C means A used to possess C and B take it from A, the sentence is to emphasize the action "take".

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.