Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Since learning the adjective + 得很 rule I have only seen it once in writing with a two syllable adjective。 What are the differences in register and/or meaning between 很 + adjective and adjective+得很?

share|improve this question

Example: 很懒 or 懒得很 –  xiaohouzi79 Feb 20 at 0:35

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I am not a linguist. As Chinese is my first language, I can describe how I use these 2 words. 很is like English word 'very', its place in a sentence is aways before another adjective. While 得很 is more intense, and it usually follows another adjective. For example: a, 这件东西很好。b,这件东西好得很。Both sentence a and b mean 'This thing is very good.', but sentence b is stronger in feelings.

很 + adjective can be followed by nouns, but adjective + 得很 can not.

For example: 很高的山峰

But we don't say: 高得很的山峰. It is just wrong.

I would say adjective + 得很 alomst always comes (with or without modal particle) at the end of a sentence.

For example:

这屋子 脏得很

你的字, 好得很嘛 。你怎么说不好呢?

share|improve this answer

Thanks, but what about the difference in formality? –  tao Feb 19 at 8:56

@tao The two can both be formal. Adding to the answer that 得很 can be used to emphasize a property in a large degree. Say 这件东西好得很! can be interpreted like This thing is exceptionally great!. In another way, if 很好 means 5 out of 10, 好得很 can be used for higher scores, like 9/10. –  StoneBird Feb 19 at 18:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.