Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Like Pinyin, but I need something that can recognize Cantonese instead of Mandarin. The only Chinese keyboards recognize Mandarin.

share|improve this question
希望大家幫幫手,舉手之勞,畀蘋果壓力增加粵拼鍵盤。 亦希望你可以廣傳本文! 請唔好淨係畀like,只係舉手之勞!呼籲大家上去蘋果嘅官網支持粵拼(jyutping)鍵盤!!! 大家可以用遊客嘅身份去投票,如果可以,最好用註冊用戶身份入去投票同埋留言叫蘋果盡快推出自帶嘅粵語鍵盤。 入到去呢條連接之後就撳一撳「I have this question too」就得啦: Apple USA: 亦都呼籲:如果係身處其它國家嘅粵人,麻煩你哋選擇當地嘅蘋果官網,喺佢哋嘅網敦促佢哋添加粵語鍵盤。 Apple USA、Apple HK、Apple TW、Apple CN⋯⋯ 我寫咗以下四個版本嘅文板,希望可以畀大家參考、修改、發畀蘋果公司(如果嫌麻煩嘅朋友,亦請你/妳複製黏貼想去)。希望可以聚沙成塔、集流成河: 英文版: I'm using iPhones and an iPad recently, but the huge problem is there are no Cantonese Keyboards available for them. I strongly recommend Apple to provide some build-in keyboards for Cantonese typin –  Cui Jun 19 at 9:24

4 Answers 4

or use stroke keyboard.

Or ask Siri. The Cantonese version of Siri can understand Cantonese.

Edit: Apple does not have such a keyboard and as you would know iOS does not allow custom keyboards. Anything suggested is a workaround.
Apple now allows custom keyboards in iOS 8. might also work for you.

share|improve this answer
Sorry, to clarify: I'm looking for a way to install it as an input method much like there is the option for Pinyin. –  Crashalot Feb 27 '14 at 6:16
@Crashalot This answer is unfortunately the best you're going to get. There is no built-in Cantonese keyboard currently, and Apple does not allow anyone to create their own keyboard; see: –  Claw Feb 28 '14 at 4:13

If you're asking for a jyutping IME you should specifically say so.

From my own research jyutping is quite new and if it has any IMEs at all they are not yet popular and not available on iDevices at all.

The input method that's popular in Hong Kong is called "cangjie". It is based on the shapes the characters are made from and not based on phonetics. I briefly tried to teach it to myself after learning both Pinyin and Zhuyin IMEs but I gave up. It has a much steeper learning curve because there are many principles you must learn. I believe it is much faster for touch typists because it doesn't require (much?) interaction with "candidate lists". But this doesn't help you much.

If you were using an open device like a PC or an Android device you could probably find a Jyutping IME somebody made for their own needs. iDevices are closed and do not allow third party IMEs but maybe you can try to persuade Apple to make one.

I had a look around and there are indeed jyutping IMEs available for just about every OS and device, except iOS. Sorry )-:

If you are a iPhone user:

"Settings -- General -- Keyboard -- International Keyboards -- Add New Keyboard"

There should be four "Chinese - Traditional" keyboards: Stroke, Handwriting, Cangjie, Zhuyin. I recommend Handwriting. You just write Cantonese characters like 冇, 喺, 瞓, etc.. The system recognizes them.

Great tutorial but sadly the keyboard doesn't support jyutping like the asker wanted. Writing is fine actually, I'd rather write than type, cause it's more flexible when you know the word. –  user3992 Feb 28 '14 at 3:26
unfortunately, i cannot write as many chars, but i know how to input them using jyutping. –  Crashalot Feb 28 '14 at 3:35

I too try to find out if I can communicate with my friend in Guangdong in Cantonese via iMessage. The "problem" in the end, is about a "national" language versus a "regional" dialect. This matter goes beyond language. I'm proud of being a native Cantonese speaker and I am equally proud of being able to speak putonghua (Mandarin Chinese) which I learned on my own.

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.