Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Both phrases are listed in CantoDict (http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/words/3497/).

It seems like 剩係 makes more sense, but which is actually correct?

share|improve this question

For those who don't speak Cantonese: 淨係 or 剩係 mean "only". –  user4086 Mar 3 at 3:16

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

They are both correct but I would say 淨係 is better than 剩係.

1. 淨 means "pure, clean", while 剩 means "leftover, remains".
  2. The original pronunciation of 剩 is sing6, not jing6.
share|improve this answer

I hear 淨係 more than 剩係 in daily conversations though both are correct. 剩 is more Mandarin than Cantonese I think. 剩 means remainder.

aren't they both pronounced the same in cantonese? –  Crashalot Feb 27 at 7:56
Nope. 剩 is sing6 and 淨 is jing6. –  user3992 Feb 27 at 9:13

淨係 sounds more like 仅剩 or 只剩。 So yeah, 淨係 is the correct one. –  user3992 Feb 27 at 16:10

hmm, according to cantodict (cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/words/3497), they are pronounced the same. –  Crashalot Feb 27 at 20:46

Look at Wikitionary instead. It's more accurate. –  user3992 Feb 28 at 2:11

淨係 is correct. You can find it in earlier literature, e.g. in the anonymously written prose 俗話傾談 published in Canton back in 1870:

唔通 淨係 你做好細佬,我就唔好細佬嗎 (Oh, [you really think] only you behave as a good younger brother, and I'm not a good one?)

But I wouldn't say 剩係 is wrong. The character rhymes with 淨 (zing6) in spoken Cantonese in the first place. And it's a long and quite common tradition in Chinese (whatever the topolect is) to "borrow" (假借) a rhyming character to signify another one. I had also heard people saying "zing6 hai6" (which could be both 淨係 and 剩係) and "sing6 hai6" (剩係) in the past.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.